Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Matt and Jenn's Culinary Adventure

By Jennifer Yan

I am thankful that my husband and I can enjoy many things in this life together. However, one of the greatest things we both derive extreme pleasure from is in the form of food. We enjoy venturing out and scoping out new restaurants to explore. We squeal at the opportunity to try new and exotic foods. And we both are a glutton for punishment when it comes to spicy food because we will eat until we burn a hole right through the lining of our stomachs.

But more importantly, my husband and I are learning to cook together. (Hello, my name is Jennifer Yan and I am a kitchen nazi. I would much rather do everything all by myself than to allow anyone other than myself to make a mess in my kitchen) And yes, my husband is also helping me to extend this exciting new adventure on to my children so that they, too, can learn and try their hand at cooking.

My friend, Sara Short, inspires me with so many of her recipes that she shares and photographs over on her Blog. I have tried many of her dishes and can attest to the fact that each and every one of her recipes are sure to be ones that you will go to again and again. And I hope that the same can be said with the recipes that I plan to post over here on my Blog as well.

So, I hope that you follow along on mine and Matt's culinary adventure as we share the dishes that we try and create here in our home.

Here's the first recipe: Yam Nua (Spicy Thai Beef Salad)
* slightly adapted from grouprecipes.com



Ingredients:
8 oz lean beef
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion (we used a purple onion)
2 tomatoes, wedged (we used 1/2 container cherry tomatoes cut in half)
1/2 c sliced cucumbers
1/4 head of cabbage, cut up salad style
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, cut up salad style
1/4 c thinly sliced Thai chili peppers (red or green, mild or spicy, based on your preference, other chilies can be substituted----luckily my husband, the pilot, can bring us back a nice stash from Thailand. However, the PakNam International grocery store off of Bar Row also carries Thai peppers)

Ingredients for the sauce:
1/4 c fish sauce
1/4 c lime juice
1 tablespoon sweet soysauce (we just added @ 1 ts of sugar to it)
3 tbs minced garlic
3 tbs minced fresh ginger (we didn't have this so we did without)
1/4 c chopped green onion
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs chili oil (we didn't have this either though I think this would add a nice kick)


Directions:
Grill the beef and slice into very think slices (we used the leftover meat from steaks that we had grilled for dinner 2 nights prior)
Combine the salad ingredients
Mix the sauce separately, then pour over the salad
Toss the salad.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Good for you! Sarah is a wonderful cook and she inspires me too. How nice that you and Matt are cooking together!

Terri said...

I love trying different foods too. Our Korean exchange student just made us a meal for Korean Thanksiving. Absolutely delicious! Can't wait to see what else you will post!

Kristen said...

so fun to see you back blogging friend!

look forward to catching up.

are you still running??